January 1st, 2013
As we head into a bright new year, we look back at some of our favorite moments of 2012:
- In January, we commemorated 39 years of legal abortion by participating in the online March for Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice. Over 134,000 people put themselves on the map, telling elected officials that a two-tier system of health care is unacceptable and sending the message to "Keep Abortion Safe and Legal -- and Make it Affordable and Accessible!"
- We welcomed three new abortion funds to the Network! In Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina, there now more options for low-income women. And the New Jersey Abortion Access Fund started funding for the first time in 2012!
- We broke all records in our 3rd Annual National Bowl-a-Thon for Abortion Access--and we're looking forward to another record-busting year in 2013!
- In Minnesota, Oregon, and West Virginia, we protected access to abortion for over 275,000 low-income women, fighting attacks on state Medicaid coverage.
- Minnesota's Pro-Choice Resources opens their "gap fund," the first abortion fund in the nation to specifically help women who qualify for state Medicaid funding get their abortions without delay, instead of waiting weeks for the state to process their paperwork.
The Abortion Support Network, the UK's only abortion fund, celebrates its third anniversary of helping women travelling from Ireland and Northern Ireland, where abortion is illegal--and earns massive media coverage, including from The Guardian and the BBC.
- Thanks to the hard-fought victory of the Shaheen Amendment, for the first time in 31 years military members pregnant as a result of sexual assault will be able to get an abortion using their military health coverage.
- A huge victory in Florida proved that abortion access for low-income women is a winning issue at the ballot box.
- Women won in 2012. There's no other way to put it: women of color and young women propelled President Obama to a resounding win on Election Day 2012. It was exhilarating, and in 2013 we are asking him to aim high and end bans on Medicaid coverage of abortion!
- Last but not least, we're grateful for opportunity to showcase the faces of abortion funds supporters, who speak up boldly and in your own words explain why abortion funds matter.
Director of UK's @AbortionSupport quoted in story on Irish abortion http://t.co/e2cC3DLwtH
6 hours 19 min ago
Abortion Funds Daily Digest is out! http://t.co/fl4f6YZRpR ▸ Top stories today via @ReproRights @WholeWomans @oboshealth
7 hours 30 min ago
Touching quote from @AbortionSupport recipient: http://t.co/erj81R0EgY So many people express this desire
21 hours 41 min ago