Abortion Support Network
January 22nd, 2013
On the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, activists took part in an online discussion about the reality of abortion access. Click here to read some of the highlights from abortion funds and other reproductive justice activists.
Categories: Abortion Support Network, Chicago Abortion Fund, DC Abortion Fund, Eastern Massachusetts Abortion Fund, economic justice, Funds, Hyde Amendment, immigrants' rights, Lilith Fund, Medicaid, New York Abortion Access Fund, TakeAction, Texas Equal Access Fund, unfair laws
January 1st, 2013
As we head into a bright new year, we look back at some of our favorite moments of 2012:
- In January, we commemorated 39 years of legal abortion by participating in the online March for Reproductive Health, Rights, and Justice. Over 134,000 people put themselves on the map, telling elected officials that a two-tier system of health care is unacceptable and sending the message to "Keep Abortion Safe and Legal -- and Make it Affordable and Accessible!"
- We welcomed three new abortion funds to the Network! In Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina, there now more options for low-income women. And the New Jersey Abortion Access Fund started funding for the first time in 2012!
- We broke all records in our 3rd Annual National Bowl-a-Thon for Abortion Access--and we're looking forward to another record-busting year in 2013!
- In Minnesota, Oregon, and West Virginia, we protected access to abortion for over 275,000 low-income women, fighting attacks on state Medicaid coverage.
- Minnesota's Pro-Choice Resources opens their "gap fund," the first abortion fund in the nation to specifically help women who qualify for state Medicaid funding get their abortions without delay, instead of waiting weeks for the state to process their paperwork.
October 27th, 2012
Guest post by Jennifer Reiter, a volunteer with London's Abortion Support Network. The Abortion Support Network (ASN) was founded in 2009 to help women who need to travel from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for a safe and legal abortion. Each year since then requests have doubled for funding, accommodation, and transportation.
When I moved to London from Chicago in 2009, I was aghast that no one recognized or celebrated one of the most life-saving pieces of legislation in the history of the United Kingdom, the 1967 Abortion Act legalizing abortion in the UK. The Act, which was passed on 27 October 1967 and came into effect on 27 April 1968, was truly great advance for women’s health. Before 1967, more women died of unsafe abortion than any other pregnancy-related cause.
In contrast, in the US the anniversary of Roe v. Wade is a huge annual celebration every January and often includes dazzling fundraising gala events. I even remember one year that then-Senator Obama spoke at a Planned Parenthood fundraiser at which I worked one wintry anniversary. So why weren’t pro-choice campaigns and charities in the UK taking advantage of this landmark date in October by celebrating, speaking out and raising much-needed funds?
The following year I was introduced to the Abortion Support Network (ASN).
October 2nd, 2012
Friday, September 28, 2012 was the Global Day of Action for Safe and Legal Abortion and the following day the largest demonstration for abortion rights in 20 years took place in Dublin, Ireland, where Mara Clarke of the UK's only abortion fund, the Abortion Support Network, spoke to thousands of activists on the need for universal access to safe abortion.
An excerpt from Ms. Clarke's speech:
July 11th, 2012
For the third consecutive year, the international abortion fund Abortion Support Network (ASN) in England will see requests for abortion funding from Irish women double.
As ASN director Mara Clarke (pictured at left) tells The Guardian, "The continued economic crisis is making it even more of a struggle for women and families to keep their heads above water and Ireland's severe abortion restrictions make it even harder for women in financial distress."
@Kalcyon Terrific! @NYAAF would love to hear from you!
13 hours 28 min ago
Abortion Funds Daily Digest is out! http://t.co/fl4f6YZRpR ▸ Top stories today via @RHMJournal @WholeWomans @AbortionSupport
19 hours 9 min ago
Abortion Funds Daily Digest is out! http://t.co/fl4f6YZRpR ▸ Top stories today via @reprodocs @BldrWomenHealth @oboshealth
1 day 19 hours ago